Thursday, March 31, 2016

Update: More than 115,000 Model 3 orders placed in last 24 hours, Tesla says

People who want to be among the first to own an all-electric Model 3 started lining up at 3 p.m. on Wednesday and camped overnight, according to employees of the Tesla Motors Showroom and Service Center on Route 17 north in Paramus. By 10 a.m. today, the line wrapped around the store, and into the parking lot, below.




Editor's note: After unveiling the $35,000 Model 3 in California tonight, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced more than 115,000 orders have been placed for the car in the last 24 hours.

By VICTOR E. SASSON
EDITOR

After a light workout at the gym in Paramus this morning, I drove over to the store where I bought my Model S, hoping to reserve a new, smaller Tesla, and put down $1,000 as a vote of confidence in the company's future.

But pulling up shortly before 10 a.m., I was shocked to see a long line with about 150 people, and a jammed parking lot.

Prospective buyers of the Model 3, which won't go on sale until the end of 2017, clearly are excited about owning a smaller, less expensive version of the best car in the world.

I didn't wait on the growing line today, but plan to reserve a Model 3 online.

Envied by others

I've already enjoyed nearly a year of owning a Model S 60, the entry level when I took delivery in mid-April 2015.

I've enjoyed exclusivity, and have been the envy of every other driver, especially those who fell for the antiquated technology peddled by the German automakers.

In fact, I am hoping to sell my Tesla, and lease a faster dual-motor Model S 70. 

The Model 3 is to be unveiled live tonight in California (11:30 p.m. on the East Coast), which is when you can place a $1,000 reservation online here: 

Reserve online during unveiling


This morning at the Tesla store, owners of lesser cars parked almost anywhere, above and below.


No comments:

Post a Comment